Saturday 28 November 2015

Portraiture Landscape Thursday 26th November work diary.

Shutter speed: 1/125
F-stop: 9.0

Shutter speed: 1/125
F-stop: 9.0

 Due to being ill, I missed the lesson on Tuesday 26th November, so when someone was round, I went out around town to take photos of her. I really enjoyed this because I was given the chance to put my portraiture knowledge from last lesson including landscapes in the background. When taking photos, I found myself using a lot of Alec Soth's work- including the whole body and landscape surround- to tell a story (as shown on the top left hand image on this blog). However I also used Thomas Ruff's work, just instead of a plain background, I had a landscape/ objects instead (as shown on the top right hand image on this blog).

A photo I like from this shoot...
I really like this image because it's a simple dead pan but shows not only the background, but the whole body. I tried as much as possible to center her head on the top line of third. I also like the simplicity of this image, I didn't want her to sit on the very top step because otherwise she would have looked too close to the door, which I didn't want. The shutter speed I used here was 1/125 and the F-stop was 9.0. Most of my images from this photo shoot had the same camera settings, I should have had a wider range although I did change the ISO. 




A photo I don't like from this shoot...
I don't like this image because she is mid through speaking so her mouth is open- I would have rather this of been a dead pan. Another reason I don't like this photo is due to me missing the lesson, I didn't want all my shoot to be of the person shown above, so after college I done a shoot with a couple of other people, but this was at 4:00 so it was quite dark, this meant to get the best lighting I had to use the flash but this artificial way of lighting creates shadowing which I really would like to avoid when taking portraiture. The shutter speed here was 1/125 and the F-stop was 8.0.   



Progression...
If I were to re-do this task again, I would definitely make sure that all my images were taken during the day so I don't need to use the flash because not only does this wash out the subject, it also removes the landscape/ objects behind it. I would also vary my camera settings a lot more to get a variety of different images. I would also like to position my subject further away from an object (for example position them away from the wall) so I can manually focus my image, making the background out of focus and my subject in focus. Examples of way I would like to progress my work are shown below...















1 comment:

  1. good analysis and recording of the session, you have lined your work to Alec Soth and his location portraiture.. You are considering the way you work with flash lighting and wether it is/is not appropriate to use it....

    ReplyDelete