Monday 18 January 2016

Landscape Ansel Adams work diary 14th January 2016

During today's lesson, I took on my research from the lesson on Tuesday as inspiration and went out in town to take photos in Ansel Adam's style. I really like his technique of taking would look like simple images, putting a black and white filter on it, burning a part of it, and it looks so intriguing. I also used a tripod for this lesson, one of the first times I have actually done this, apart from in the studio. This made my images so much better! (well in my opinion anyway) This is because it meant I was able to show straight lines and depth very clearly and easily as I could position my camera straight.

A photo from today's shoot that I like...
I really like this image from today's shoot because I like the straight lines and the depth portraying in this. I also like how the graffiti creates a run down look. This was a really dreary day and it was really cold, this is why I think the black and white effect works really well.






A photo from today's shoot that I don't like...
 I don't really like this image because I think the burning of the image didn't work well at all and should have been at the bottom of the photo instead of the side. I also don't like how it's head on yet the main building in the photo is slanted. If I was going to get the "ultimate" head on photo, I would have needed everything to be straight even that building. It would also be better if it was in the middle more.




Progression... 
Even though these images can count as landscapes, I do not think they relate to Ansel Adams as much as I had wanted, this is because his images captures things such as mountains. Although, the number of mountains are pretty low in Harlow, so old run down building was the best I could really do. However if I were able to do so, I would like to take photos relating to Ansel Adams much more! For example a beach or a forest. I also like skyline landscapes images so would like to include this in my work. Example of progression are shown below.










Progression put in place...

















1 comment:

  1. some good analysis and manipulation of the image is presented with regards to burning .... also you have demonstrated some good progression.. The only issue is a nation of camera settings and whether you have chosen an aperture setting to maximize depth of field?

    ReplyDelete